From the dreary border town to Saxony's most beautiful villages
Schmilka - the village of Elbschiffer, raftsmen, stonemasons, coalfish, Pechsieder and forest workers was first mentioned in 1582. There were initially only 3 houses in the "Schmilckengrundt". Due to the narrowness in the rock bottom and remoteness, the small village grew very slowly. It was not until 1665 with the permission of the Elector to build a mill and the permission to bake and give in it for sale, d. H. Meal guests (residents who brought grain for milling), boaters and travelers to host, made life a little better. However, the business was not lucrative enough, so that the miller and baker had to make do in the quarries. In 1800 Johann Gottfried Hänsel bought the mill for 1,500 talers and had to promise to marry the widow of his predecessor. Fortunately, he benefited from the flow of "Switzerland travelers", which increased during this time. Also Wilhelm Leberecht Götzinger (he wrote the first travelogue of the Saxon Switzerland) recommended the mill due to the "always in stock good beer", the friendly service and as a night accommodation. However, the mill was not up to the competition of the large mills and steam sawmills and so lay since 1881, the mill and bakery still. The restaurant with its dance hall was preserved and with the creation of a railway stop, as well as the construction of a pier and the road to Postelwitz Schmilka made the connection to Bad Schandau and became a popular excursion and hiking destination of summer visitors. Even in GDR times Schmilka was a popular resort for workers and FDGB'ler. After the fall of the mill was broke, many houses fell, the population decreased. Sven-Erik Hitzer, however, gradually acquired more and more houses Schmilkas, including the mill, which was drawn in 1823 by Ludwig Richter and immortalized on a copper plate. This view was used by Sven-Erik Hitzer to reconstruct the mill in 2007. 2011/2012 was a major conversion and expansion, so that in 2012, the mill and bakery could start their operation. Today, the mill shines with its dance and shower room, the mill farm and the organic bakery and mill in the old splendor and is extremely popular as a destination for excursions and hiking. In 2017, the place even received the award as one of "Saxony's most beautiful villages".